[rspec-users] Caboosers drop RSpec

Pau Cor lists at ruby-forum.com
Wed Nov 5 09:20:26 EST 2008

Alex Satrapa wrote:
> I can't understand why people who are serious about production
> environment stability would install multiple applications in the same
> environment. It's not healthy.

One very nice way to do this is to run each app with its own user, then
have a ~/.gems directory. Then you can only install each app's gems
here.

For example:
  For my_app_1:
    The app code is here: /home/my_app_1/rails/current
    And the gems are here: /home/my_app_1/.gems
  For my_app_2:
    The app code is here: /home/my_app_2/rails/current
    And the gems are here: /home/my_app_2/.gems

Both users have ~/.gems in their gem load path. So user my_app_1 doesn't
see user my_app_2's gems, and vice versa.

This is how some shared hosts let users install their own gems without
breaking anyone else's apps.