[rspec-users] Caboosers drop RSpec

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Wed Nov 5 05:58:28 EST 2008

On 05/11/2008, at 01:37 , Steven Baker wrote:

> Big difference between "haven't been able to" and "wouldn't learn
> the tools".  Ashley's post below sums it up best.  This is a problem
> that's seen regularly when working with new ideas.  How many times
> have you seen Agile blamed when a project fails due to poor
> management?  I personally see this all the time.

Personally, the first question on my mind was why they weren't using
separate environments for each of their production applications.

I'm learning Django at the moment, which is kinda like a Python-on-
Rails wannabe. The most useful tool I've come across recently has been
"virtualenv" which basically takes your system-installed environment,
copies it (including the specific version of the Python interpreter)
into a stand-alone environment, then sets the path for Python
libraries appropriately. Then when you go messing with the environment
(adding new third-party software) it only affects that specific
virtual environment.

A similar thing in the Mac OS X world of Ruby on Rails programming is
Locomotive. I love Locomotive.

I can't understand why people who are serious about production
environment stability would install multiple applications in the same
environment. It's not healthy.

Alex