[rspec-users] restful_auth and good rspec examples (was: Caboosers drop RSpec)

Ben Mabey ben at benmabey.com
Tue Nov 4 15:01:45 EST 2008

Fernando Perez wrote:
> As a starter, can someone tell me if the specs defined in
> restful_authentication are clever? Can I learn from them?

Please don't look at restful_auth as an example on how to use rspec
examples and/or the story runner.  The stories in particular are very
brittle.
> Because right now I find them overwhelming, complicated, over-testing,
> etc.

Yeah, they go a little overboard with keeping the specs DRY which
results IMO hard to follow specs.  They also test private methods
directly and some other things which are TDD smells.
> Does anyone know of a good app with specs I could learn from? It always
> makes me laugh to think about all the good things people say about TDD,
> and if I take for instance Spree (a Ror ecommerce website), well the
> specs are almost not defined at all, whereas the code is present.

Hmm.. I've heard good things about Radiant (the CMS) but I haven't
looked too closely myself.  Also, the rspec code base itself is a very
good place to learn from.  I think there are plenty of open-source tools
that use rspec that you can learn from but I can't seem to think of many
open-source rails apps with stellar examples.

I have been thinking for a while that a worthwhile project would be to
fork restful_auth and add some clearer code examples (specs) and
Cucumber features.  Since so many rails developers start out with
restful auth it would be a good way to illustrate some good rspec
guidelines.  Alas, I have been think this for a while but have done
nothing... It has been one of those things on my endless OSS TODO lists.

-Ben