[rspec-users] Caboosers drop RSpec

court3nay court3nay at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 12:32:08 EST 2008

On Nov 4, 5:25 am, "aslak hellesoy" <aslak.helle... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 10:39 AM, Tom Stuart <t... at experthuman.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > Any responses to
> >http://blog.caboo.se/articles/2008/11/4/we-ve-stopped-using-rspec? How much
> > of this is due to legitimate bugs/problems versus unfortunate circumstances?
> > Feels kind of worrying that they haven't been able to make it work for them.
>
> I wish people would seek out the developers (mailing list, bug
> tracker) before they go out and whine. See my comment in the blog
> post.

Well, I didn't think we were whining.  I've been using rSpec since the
early days, have contributed code and bug reports back (our team has
built plugins around rspec too).  We have more than 30 active projects
in production built with rSpec.. tens (hundreds?) of thousands of
lines of test code.. it's been the best choice for us, so far, and
obviously I'm not planning on throwing that out.  It's really not a
case of "waah, waah, rspec sucks", even if you want to hear it that
way.

However, in my opinion the upgrade path should not be difficult, and
the ability to have development tools (rspec) not checked into the
code base for production deployment (config.gems in test.rb) is
important to me.  So when we upgraded and versions started leaking
between apps and specs start failing mysteriously for some developers
and not others, we started casting about for something simpler and/or
better.   I don't want to be fighting my tools, I want them to be
working with me.. I don't want to start getting weird failures from an
upgrade.  It might well be bugs in Rails not rSpec, but if the only
thing that changed was rSpec, well, you see my problem.  In my mind
rspec has a long history of breaking things between versions.

My blog post was an honest attempt at finding out what the wider
community is using -- why, how -- for their testing needs. I'm not
going to find that on the rspec-users mailing list.  And, yes, it is
obvious that many of the commenters don't understand how to use rSpec.

Courtenay