[rspec-users] Caboosers drop RSpec

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 11:24:14 EST 2008

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 1:09 PM, Stephen Eley <sfeley at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 9:55 AM, Luis Lavena <luislavena at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 12:32 PM, Fernando Perez <lists at ruby-forum.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> But when I read the posts here, most of the time,
>>> when someone has a problem he gets pointed to the unfriendly
>>> documentation pages or worse, the very thin docs available at github.
>>
>> Oh, your statement is wrong.
>
> Not all of it.  The list is pretty helpful, sure, but the
> documentation _could_ stand for a lot of improvement.  I find it very
> opaque, too, especially from a "Getting Started" perspective. There
> are posts and slideshows scattered all over the blogosphere, but
> finding them isn't straightforward.  I know there's a book coming, but
> it ain't here yet.  And the Peepcode videos are good (they're how I
> learned) but to watch all of the RSpec ones is over four hours.  Also
> nearly forty bucks or an annual subscription.

Neither Rails was the one with best documentation (which btw I wonder
what happened with the caboose documentation project they collected
12K, anyway).

I don't see any "tutorial" on internet for starting with XP, or either
Scrum, or anything like that... took them years to evolve and be able
to produce a book.

Until then, you have mailing lists and blog posts to share the knowledge.

> It's something I've been poking at a bit, though haven't had the time
> yet to bring things together.  So I identify myself as part of the
> problem too.  I could communicate what little _I_ know about RSpec...
> But I haven't yet.

Welcome aboard, we are share the guilty part.

>> Pat, Ashley, David and Aslak give quite share of their time answering
>> those emails, do a search and you will find out.
>
> That's not a replacement for good documentation.  You have to have a
> certain grounding before you can even figure out where to go and what
> questions to ask -- and I don't feel the most visible resources for
> that grounding are as good as they could be.

And what ranting and whining provides?

--
Luis Lavena
AREA 17