[rspec-users] Caboosers drop RSpec

Stephen Eley sfeley at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 11:09:21 EST 2008

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 9:55 AM, Luis Lavena <luislavena at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 12:32 PM, Fernando Perez <lists at ruby-forum.com> wrote:
>> But when I read the posts here, most of the time,
>> when someone has a problem he gets pointed to the unfriendly
>> documentation pages or worse, the very thin docs available at github.
> Oh, your statement is wrong.

Not all of it.  The list is pretty helpful, sure, but the
documentation _could_ stand for a lot of improvement.  I find it very
opaque, too, especially from a "Getting Started" perspective. There
are posts and slideshows scattered all over the blogosphere, but
finding them isn't straightforward.  I know there's a book coming, but
it ain't here yet.  And the Peepcode videos are good (they're how I
learned) but to watch all of the RSpec ones is over four hours.  Also
nearly forty bucks or an annual subscription.

It's something I've been poking at a bit, though haven't had the time
yet to bring things together.  So I identify myself as part of the
problem too.  I could communicate what little _I_ know about RSpec...
But I haven't yet.

> Pat, Ashley, David and Aslak give quite share of their time answering
> those emails, do a search and you will find out.

That's not a replacement for good documentation.  You have to have a
certain grounding before you can even figure out where to go and what
questions to ask -- and I don't feel the most visible resources for
that grounding are as good as they could be.

Have Fun,
   Steve Eley (sfeley at gmail.com)