[rspec-users] Expected "with" matches received "with" in error message

Tom Hoen lists at ruby-forum.com
Mon Nov 3 10:23:14 EST 2008

I am trying to spec a controller that sets up a page to add two
instances of an object to another (many to many :through).

In my controller_spec, I have the following statements:

      Student.should_receive(:new).and_return(mock_student)
      mock_student.should_receive(:relatives).twice
      mock_student.relatives.should_receive("<<").with(Relative.new(:parent
=> Parent.new)).twice

When I run the test, I get the following error message:

Spec::Mocks::MockExpectationError in 'StudentsController responding to
GET new should expose a new student as @student'
Mock 'NilClass' expected :<< with (#<Relative id: nil, parent_id: nil,
student_id: nil, created_at: nil, updated_at: nil, child_lives_with:
nil>) but received it with (#<Relative id: nil, parent_id: nil,
student_id: nil, created_at: nil, updated_at: nil, child_lives_with:
nil>)

It seems what it is receiving and expecting are the same.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Tom