[rspec-users] Mocking Models in Controller Specs...

Jarkko Laine jarkko at jlaine.net
Tue May 27 05:37:17 EDT 2008

On 27.5.2008, at 10.52, Mark Dodwell wrote:

> Also, any opinions on using a Factory pattern for instantiating
> mocks of
> models? I like the idea of maintaining mocks in one place as I
> frequently use them across several specs for models that have
> associations. Do you think it would create dependency issues between
> the
> specs using that Factory?

I have built my own "factory" by creating methods such as mock_user in
the spec helper. That method will then fill in some reasonable values
and stub all the needed methods. Granted, the need for that is less
now with stub_model, but sometimes you also want to stub some
associations. That has certainly reduced the amount of repetition in
my specs.

> ~ Mark
> --

Jarkko Laine