[rspec-users] Modules will no longer be automatically included in RSpec version 1.1.4

Tim Glen tim at pivotib.com
Mon May 26 20:22:22 EDT 2008

>> So I find myself wondering - is this the case for just helper
>> modules or all modules? For instance, I have a module which gets
>> included into some controllers, but I'd like to spec against it
>> directly so I don't have in those other controllers... I'm not sure
>> how to set this up. What's the best practice?
>
> First of all, don't ever believe anybody when they tell you
> something is a best practice.
>
> That said - here's what I *usually* do:
>
> describe WhizBangModule do
>  it "should do something" do
>    whiz_banger = Object.new
>    whiz_banger.extend WhizBangModule
>    whiz_banger.whiz.should == "bang"
>  end
> end
>
> or something like that. Make sense?

Yes, that makes sense.

I like that as far as it goes, but I'm wondering if there's a way to
take it one step further and actually have it extend the typical
controller functionality - some of my methods make use of the session,
or set some assigns, for instance. I'd love to be able to test it as
if it were in a controller already, with all the spec goodness that
comes along with that.

I can set up what you've done here to answer _like_ a controller, but
that seems silly given that the same functionality is potentially
already available. I could also spec it in the context of one of the
controllers that includes it already, but that seems too specific.

thanks,
tim