[rspec-users] Story / Redirection to static html within public

Josh Knowles joshknowles at gmail.com
Thu May 22 10:31:25 EDT 2008

On 5/22/08, Joseph Wilk <lists at ruby-forum.com> wrote:
> With a rails application I'm trying to access the public/ folder from
>  within a rspec story.
>
>  I have a controller which redirects to:
>
>  /public/static_html_page.html

I assume you mean /static_html_page.html?  Your document_root in your
webserver should be set to /public thus you should never see /public
in your URLs,

>  I have a story written using webat.
>  This story uses the above controller and it expects the redirection.
>
>  This story always fails as within the story it cannot follow the
>  redirection (Always gives a 500 error). It does not seem to be able to
>  access any public/ content within the story.

Rails Integration tests talk directly to controllers, since there is
no controller in front of static files there is no way to access them
as far as I've seen.

>  Within step file of a story this always fails:
>  'get /index.html'
>  OR
>  visits '/index.html'
>
>  I looked back at ActionController::IntegrationTest which seems to be
>  where RailsStory gets all its magic from. That lead me to believe that
>  perhaps this was a rails issue?
>
>  So I'm unsure if:
>
>  1. Accessing public/ within a story is just not supposed to be possible.

Correct

>  2. Accessing public/ within ActionController::IntegrationTest is not
>  suppose to be possible.

Correct.

>  2. Rspec has a bug
>  3. Rails has a bug
>
>  Any ideas?

We can look at getting webrat to recognize the redirect to file
outside the scope of the rails environment.  Patches always welcome of
course.

- Josh

--
Josh Knowles