[rspec-users] TextMate bundle not using environment variable to find Ruby library

SoManyFishes somanyfishes at gmail.com
Wed May 21 09:55:48 EDT 2008

> Something is going on in my TextMate bundle--it's calling the wrong lib
> for Ruby.  I have the environment variables set like this:
> >
> > TM_RSPEC_HOME /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rspec-1.1.3
> > TM_RUBY  /usr/local/bin/ruby

> How can I get TextMate to use the library in usr/local/bin/ruby instead
> of looking in usr/local/bin/ruby?
I finally found the answer to this and wanted to post it in case anyone
else is searching for help on this in the Archives.

I found instructions on this blog:

It shows how to set up a new environment.plist file here
'~/.MacOSX/environment.plist' with the correct PATH definition:

> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN"
>     "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
> <plist version="1.0">
> <dict>
>     <key>PATH</key>
> <string>/usr/local/bin:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin</string>
> </dict>
> </plist>

Don't forget to log out & in for it to take effect.  Worked for me!