[rspec-users] description method and test failures

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Wed May 14 08:44:09 EDT 2008

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 1:17 AM, EAW <ericw at xmtp.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  Hoping you can help.  I have a project using rspec 1.1.3 and rails 2.0.2.
> I've run into a small problem.  Said project has a method in
> application_helper.rb named "description".  Whenever a spec test fails, I
> see a message like so:
>
>  *snip*/vendor/plugins/rspec/lib/spec/runner/reporter.rb:37:in
> `description': wrong number of arguments (0 for 2) (ArgumentError)
>
>  It just so happens that my description method takes 2 arguments.  It seems
> that this method is clashing with one of the methods in rspec.  Is there a
> workaround for this situation?  It's a pain to have to rename my method
> everytime I want to see a proper failure message from rspec.
>
>  I'm attaching a full backtrace run with --trace.

If the first argument to describe() is a module it gets included in
the resulting example group. To avoid this, just make it a String:

describe 'MyHelperModule' do

In the next release there is a helper object you can use in your
helper examples:

describe HelperModule do
  it "should describe something by default" do
    helper.description.should == "something"

In some future release, that is the only way it will work as we will
no longer include the module in the example group. That might be a way
off though.

Cheers,
David