[rspec-users] description method and test failures

EAW ericw at xmtp.net
Wed May 14 02:17:22 EDT 2008

Hi all,

Hoping you can help.  I have a project using rspec 1.1.3 and rails
2.0.2.  I've run into a small problem.  Said project has a method in
application_helper.rb named "description".  Whenever a spec test
fails, I see a message like so:

`description': wrong number of arguments (0 for 2) (ArgumentError)

It just so happens that my description method takes 2 arguments.  It
seems that this method is clashing with one of the methods in rspec.
Is there a workaround for this situation?  It's a pain to have to
rename my method everytime I want to see a proper failure message from

I'm attaching a full backtrace run with --trace.

ericw at xmtp.net

"If the answer isn't violence, neither is your silence!"
                         -- Pop Will Eat Itself, "Ich Bin Ein Auslander"