[rspec-users] rspec version to use with git

Scott Taylor mailing_lists at railsnewbie.com
Sat May 10 07:25:17 EDT 2008

On May 9, 2008, at 8:38 AM, David Chelimsky wrote:

> On May 9, 2008, at 6:43 AM, Mark H. Wilkinson wrote:
>
>> I want to start using RSpec in an existing project that uses git for
>> SCM, and I was planning on using git submodules to pull in known-
>> stable
>> releases of the rspec and rspec_on_rails plugins. The current
>> repositories on github don't seem to be set up to help with this at
>> the
>> moment though, so I'm looking for some advice. Here're the issues, I
>> think:
>>     * The last stable release is 1.1.3, but there's no tag in the git
>>       repository to indicate the revision that makes that release. I
>>       think the equivalent commit is
>>       11d7cc9d9a45c957f7a9215b41aa0b9c3d5c236b but...
>>     * The rspec.git repository for the last stable revision actually
>>       includes rspec (and rspec_on_rails) as subdirectories, so if
>> you
>>       check them out as submodules in vendor/plugins the plugins
>>       themselves aren't in the right place (they finish up in
>>       vendor/plugins/rspec/rspec
>>       and vendor/plugins/rspec/rspec_on_rails).
>>
>> I can see that both of these issues will disappear when the first
>> real
>> release from git happens, but in the meantime I feel a bit stuck. Is
>> there a specific revision of rspec.git (and rspec_on_rails.git)
>> that is
>> actually pretty stable, or is master pretty stable and I could just
>> pick
>> any revision and find it works fine?
>
> Unfortunately you *are* stuck for the moment. We broke up the
> repositories as we did because git doesn't support partial clones
> (i.e. you can't just clone one subdirectory of a repo) the way you
> can checkout subdirectories of a subversion repository. There's no
> way for us to go back and tag the correct commit without you
> grabbing the full repository at that time.
>
> I can tell you that I use the current master with no issues, BUT,
> there have been some changes to internals that might break your
> monkey patches (if you have any). I don't have time to doc them
> right now (part of why there has been no release), but if I were in
> your shoes I'd grab the latest and see what happens. It's an
> inexpensive experiment.
>
> David

David,

Didn't you do git-svn import?  Shouldn't the full repository history
be there?  I would imagine that you could create a branch for the last
stable release, and revert backwards to the revision (in svn) in which
the last release was tagged.

As for (git) tags - I see no way to use submodules with tags - Or am I
missing something very obvious?

Scott