[rspec-users] rspec version to use with git

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Fri May 9 08:38:53 EDT 2008

On May 9, 2008, at 6:43 AM, Mark H. Wilkinson wrote:

> I want to start using RSpec in an existing project that uses git for
> SCM, and I was planning on using git submodules to pull in known-
> stable
> releases of the rspec and rspec_on_rails plugins. The current
> repositories on github don't seem to be set up to help with this at
> the
> moment though, so I'm looking for some advice. Here're the issues, I
> think:
>      * The last stable release is 1.1.3, but there's no tag in the git
>        repository to indicate the revision that makes that release. I
>        think the equivalent commit is
>        11d7cc9d9a45c957f7a9215b41aa0b9c3d5c236b but...
>      * The rspec.git repository for the last stable revision actually
>        includes rspec (and rspec_on_rails) as subdirectories, so if
> you
>        check them out as submodules in vendor/plugins the plugins
>        themselves aren't in the right place (they finish up in
>        vendor/plugins/rspec/rspec
>        and vendor/plugins/rspec/rspec_on_rails).
>
> I can see that both of these issues will disappear when the first real
> release from git happens, but in the meantime I feel a bit stuck. Is
> there a specific revision of rspec.git (and rspec_on_rails.git) that
> is
> actually pretty stable, or is master pretty stable and I could just
> pick
> any revision and find it works fine?

Unfortunately you *are* stuck for the moment. We broke up the
repositories as we did because git doesn't support partial clones
(i.e. you can't just clone one subdirectory of a repo) the way you can
checkout subdirectories of a subversion repository. There's no way for
us to go back and tag the correct commit without you grabbing the full
repository at that time.

I can tell you that I use the current master with no issues, BUT,
there have been some changes to internals that might break your monkey
patches (if you have any). I don't have time to doc them right now
(part of why there has been no release), but if I were in your shoes
I'd grab the latest and see what happens. It's an inexpensive
experiment.

David