[rspec-users] Stopping example execution?

Britt Mileshosky mileshosky at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 28 20:50:19 EDT 2008

> From: mailing_lists at railsnewbie.com
> To: rspec-users at rubyforge.org
> Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 20:32:26 -0400
> Subject: Re: [rspec-users] Stopping example execution?
>

> On Jun 28, 2008, at 8:27 PM, Britt Mileshosky wrote:

>>> Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 18:24:17 -0500
>>> From: philodespotos at gmail.com
>>> To: rspec-users at rubyforge.org
>>> Subject: Re: [rspec-users] Stopping example execution?

>>> Yep, you can stub out the requested action on the controller. Say
>>> you're testing that the :index action requires authentication:
>>>
>>>  controller.should_not_receive(:index)
>>>  stub_not_logged_in
>>>  do_get
>>>
>>> Or the opposite:
>>>
>>>  controller.should_receive(:index)
>>>  stub_logged_in
>>>  do_get
>>>
>>> Personally I prefer expecting the action instead of expecting the
>>> filters, but I think both would accomplish the same goal, as long as
>>> you tested the filter on its own. If you just wanted to stub out the
>>> action to prevent it from doing anything, you could of course just
>>> use
>>> controller.stub!(:index).
>>>
>>> HTH

>> So i did something like.
>>
>> - controller.should_receive(:before_filter_action)
>> - controller.stub!(:action_after_filter)
>> - do_get
>>
>> Works nicely... but if you think about it and look closely, we are
>> still stubbing methods after the intended expectation was met.  This
>> method just happens to encapsulate a whole other set of methods,
>> which is why it works nicely.
>>
>> But lets say i have something like this
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> def some_action
>>    @user = self.current_user
>>    @account = self.current_account if self.has_account?
>>    @person = @account.people.find(params[:person])
>> end
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> describe "with a logged in user"
>>
>>  before(:each) do
>>    controller.stub!(:current_account)
>>    @account = stub_model(UserAccount)  # Shouldn't have to stub here?
>>    @person = stub_model(User)              # Shouldn't have to stub
>> here?
>>    @people = mock("list of people")         # Shouldn't have to stub
>> here?
>>    @people.stub!(find)                             # Shouldn't have
>> to stub here?
>>    @account.stub!(:people).and_return(@people)           # Shouldn't
>> have to stub here?
>>  end
>

> Are you looking for the :null_object => true flag?
>
> Scott

Scott, I don't believe so, but can you see where that might work in the example given above? I've never used the null_object flag, and looking at the documentation, it seems as though I'd still need to declare all my mocks at the very beginning, rather than incrementally as I work down through my code and examples.