[rspec-users] Story for Rest

Pat Maddox pergesu at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 18:06:01 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 9:32 AM, Olivier Dupuis <olivierdupuis at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm trying to write a story for a rest resource.
>
> Here's what I have so far:
>
> Story "Get prices for specific book", %{
>   As a client
>   I want to get a list of prices for a specific book
>   So that I can use it on my own application
> }, :type => RailsStory do
>
>   Scenario "Requesting /books/:id/prices using GET" do
>     Given "a regular rest request"
>
>     When "visiting", "/books/:id/prices" do |path|
>       get path
>     end
>
>     Then "it should return an xml file"
>   end
> end
>
> How would I check that the format of my response is in xml?  Also, is it
> possible to check the content of an xml file, to make sure that it's not
> empty?  Any other suggestions on what would make this story more efficient?

I know a lot of people that do hpricot or xpath-style stuff to test
XML.  I really like my ghetto simple Hash.from_xml approach.

hash = Hash.from_xml response.body
hash['book'].should_not be_nil
hash['book']['price'].should == 123.45

You could probably wrap it up a bit more, but I like how clear and
straightforward it is.

Pat