[rspec-users] MVC testing vs. models & Webrat+RailsStory?

Josh Knowles joshknowles at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 11:50:21 EDT 2008

On 6/19/08, Christopher Bailey <chris at cobaltedge.com> wrote:
>  Specifically, I'm wondering, or contemplating, if I do unit tests for
>  my models, and then I use WebRat plus RailsStory, do I even need to
>  then do functional testing of my controllers and views?  I can see
>  that I might want to do some particular view testing that ensured
>  certain elements were on a page or something, but in terms of actually
>  testing the workings of my app/site, it seems model unit tests
>  combined with RailsStory+Webrat will do a pretty darn thorough job.  I
>  would then consider going to Selenium to test some of the detailed
>  JavaScript as needed.
>
>  Thoughts?  What am I missing, or what are the downsides of such an approach?

Having spent the last 3 months working on a project which heavily
relied on Story Driven Development (currently 78 story files which
encompass 401 scenarios) one thing that I have found is that the build
has become quite slow.  We made a decision early on that we wouldn't
bother with view specs, as they felt redundant with our stories.
Looking back now I think that was a mistake.  If I were to do it over
I would leverage stories for the happy path, as well as to catch
expected error conditions, but I would also rely heavily on
Controller/View/Helper specs to test all of the branches and abnormal
use cases.

Basically I think that you should test as much stuff at the unit level
as possible, and leverage the integration tools where appropriate, but
don't overuse without expecting some decrease in performance.

--
Josh Knowles
phone: 509-979-1593
email:  joshknowles at gmail.com