[rspec-users] Autotest/RSpec 1.1.4/Rails 2.1 Infinite Loop?

Jim Lindley jimlindley at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 10:41:51 EDT 2008

>> I just got back from RailsConf, and upgraded on of my development apps to
>> 2.1, and now autotest is going into an infinite loop. It runs tests
>> continuously instead of waiting for files to be saved before rerunning.
>>
>> Has anybody else seen this, or know how to get around it?

I had this or a similar problem.

I tracked it down to sometimes requiring spec_helper with expand_path,
and other times with just the relative path. So, spec_helper was
getting included twice in some cases, resulting in errors on the full
suite. The loop that I usually hit was that it would bounce from the
failures in the full spec, to run the individual failing spec file,
which was green since spec_helper was only required once, and so would
run the full spec, and again and again and again.

Sometimes even when the full spec was green, it would re-run itself. I
didn't figure out exactly why it happened in that case since fixing
all the require paths to match solved that too.