[rspec-users] RSpec story failing because of routing error on "/"

Danny Sofer d at sofer.com
Sun Jun 15 17:33:45 EDT 2008

On 15 Jun 2008, at 14:09, David Chelimsky wrote:

> On Jun 15, 2008, at 4:33 AM, Danny Sofer wrote:
>> When running tests on the restful_authentication plugin, I am
>> getting a routing error on "/".
>> Which I don't really understand, because the route "/" certainly
>> does exist as I can confirm when I run ./script/server and point my
>> browser at http://localhost:3000/
> Actually, that route does NOT exist. You're seeing something because
> there is an index.html file in public, not because Rails routing is
> getting you there.
> Add an explicit root mapping to the appropriate controller and
> you'll get past this. Looks like there are more problems ahead, but
> they seem to be in restful_authentication.
> Cheers,
> David

Oh, a bit obvious!

Thank you so much.

For the record, it is possible to get the Restful Authentication
stories running with a few extra steps.

After installing all the various plugins as outlined in my previous
missive, do the following:

1. Add a "/" route to config.routes.rb:  (as pointed out by David)
     map.login '/', :controller => 'sessions', :action => 'new'

2. Copy the line "include AuthenticatedSystem" into class
ApplicationController in app/controllers/application.rb

3. Add app/views/layouts/application.html.erb with something like the

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd
	<title>Restful auth</title>
	<%= yield :layout %>

4. In /stories/sessions/users/sessions.story there is a scenario which
assumes that "fixtures have been run sometime". Well they haven't, so:

   "And her session store should have user_id: 1" (and not 4)

on lines 56 and 110.

Then run: ruby stories/rest_auth_stories.rb

"16 scenarios: 16 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 pending"