[rspec-users] rcov causing a segmentation fault on rspec 1.1.4 and rails 2.1

Scott Taylor mailing_lists at railsnewbie.com
Sat Jun 7 17:09:23 EDT 2008

On Jun 7, 2008, at 1:11 PM, Maurício Linhares wrote:

> Hello again :)
> I'm trying to run rcov on my specs here but i'm getting a lot of
> segmentation faults (and they usually happen at different places):
> /home/mauricio/NetBeansProjects/reeds/vendor/rails/activerecord/lib/
> active_record/attribute_methods.rb:211:
> [BUG] Segmentation fault ruby 1.8.6 (2007-09-24) [i486-linux]
> /home/mauricio/NetBeansProjects/reeds/vendor/rails/activerecord/
> lib/../../activesupport/lib/active_support/core_ext/module/
> introspection.rb:60:
> [BUG] Segmentation fault ruby 1.8.6 (2007-09-24) [i486-linux]
> Is there any way to fix this?

I'm not sure about this, but I can tell you *my* one run in with rcov
seg-faulting (maybe it will be of some use):

While testing FixtureReplacement, I decided to swap out Kernel#require
for my specs.  I didn't see any other option: My init.rb explicitly
required a "db/example_data" file, and since I was testing it outside
of a rails project there was no way to access a file which was outside
of vendor/plugins/fixture_replacement.  I tried the typical pattern of
aliasing require, and overriding it, calling it only when the file
didn't match "db/example_data.rb".  At the time, the specs ran just
fine.  Much to my surpise, rcov segfaulted.  I had to resort to the
technique described on this page to get it to work: http://blog.jayfields.com/2006/12/ruby-alias-method-alternative.html

I still don't know why this happened.  My guess is that between rcov
and rubygems, both of which probably swap out require, someone wasn't
playing nice.  Or, come to think of it, maybe it was me!

General advice: I'd bet you could run the debugger (ruby-debug) on it,
and see where it craps out...