[rspec-users] When to send "post" and "get" in blocks.

Maurício Linhares mauricio.linhares at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 23:57:03 EDT 2008

Hi Mike,

You should place the spectation before the "do_method" (a call to a
controller method)  when you are stating that something must happen
inside your controller code, like asserting that some object should
receive a specific method call, like your example, where it's stating
that the Book class should receive the message :find (or should
receive a call to the find method) with :all as a parameter, you place
this before the "do_method" 'cos the call will happen inside the
"do_method", so you have to explain in advance what you spect to see.

And a spectation is placed after a "do_method" when you want to assert
some state after the request is processed, like asserting that the
correct template was rendered, asserting that a non-logged in user
should receive a redirect to the login page or asserting that a
variable will be available for your views. You are doing this after
the "do_method" 'cos only after the controller execution you will have
access to the generated response.

--
Maurício Linhares
http://alinhavado.wordpress.com/ (pt-br) | http://blog.codevader.com/ (en)