[rspec-users] Not running correct specs under autotest:

Tom Stuart tom at experthuman.com
Thu Jun 5 04:11:44 EDT 2008

On 4 Jun 2008, at 15:14, Matt Mower wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 3:06 PM, David Chelimsky
> <dchelimsky at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Rails 2.1 supports plugins from git.
> Yep 2.1 and I used script/plugin to install from git this time. That's
> new again to me since I've been using piston for quite a while (or
> submodules with a git based project). The new, git compatible,
> "script/plugin update" takes care of the details?

AFAIK it doesn't -- script/plugin install from a git URL is no better
than manually unpacking the tgz into vendor/plugins, i.e. completely
useless. I've pretty much resigned myself to just blowing away each
plugin directory when I want to update it, and either tracking my
local changes manually (i.e. maintaining a diff that I laboriously
reapply after updating) or monkeypatching plugins in lib/ rather than
modifying them directly.

(script/plugin update relies on svn:externals.)

Rails dependency management is getting worse. Maybe piston 2.0, with
git support, will make it better again?

Cheers,
-Tom