[rspec-users] any_instance

Matt Mower self at mattmower.com
Wed Jun 4 09:40:21 EDT 2008

Hi David.

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 2:24 PM, David Chelimsky <dchelimsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> There was an implementation of it that didn't quite work for me in
> http://github.com/dchelimsky/rspec/commit/45a6837 so we reverted it. I have
> zero personal interest in this feature (use of which I find to be an
> anti-pattern) but am open to applying a patch as long as it meets criteria
> described in http://rspec.lighthouseapp.com/projects/5645/tickets/28.

I've read the ticket, I was hoping it would explain why you feel
any_instance is an anti-pattern.

In my situation I am spec'ing a library that depends upon a
lower-level for network operations. I use any_instance at certain
points to simulate data coming from the network.

Trying to stub :new and return a mock was very problematic for me
because the object involved does some work with the data which my code
depends upon for it's own behaviour. Hence to test that I end up
having to do a lot of work in my mocks and it quickly becomes
cumbersome.

What I really wanted was the "genuine" object with some behaviour
changed which is what any_instance gives me.

I tried searching the archives of this list but couldn't find an
article where you (or anyone else) expands on this view about
any_instance.

And thanks for the pointer, I guess I will try and assemble the patch
and see if I can make it work.

Regards,

Matt.

--