[rspec-users] Anyone seen weird autotest behaviour on trunk?

Matt Mower self at mattmower.com
Wed Jun 4 04:20:43 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 6:26 AM, Hans de Graaff <hans at degraaff.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-04-01 at 08:48 +0100, Ashley Moran wrote:
>> Hmm, exact same revision as me.  Are we the only one s having
>> problems?  I've also noticed errors along the lines of
>> "ActionController not found" and "expected XXX to respond to
>> respond_to?" (or something - that from the developer that sits behind
>> me).
>
> We are seeing the exact same thing with Zentest 3.9.2 and RSpec 1.1.4.

Oh thank goodness, it's not me. I am seeing the same kinds of
weirdness too, but only since I upgraded to Rails 2.1

I'm kinda new to RSpec so I wasn't sure if it was something i was
doing. In the meantime I've been trying to figure out whether 1.1.4 is
the right version of RSpec to run against 2.1.

> The thing I noticed yesterday is that autotest seems to want to run the
> model or controller directly instead of the spec file, just like in
> Ashley's original mail. Obviously this leads to an error because that
> doesn't load spec_helper which in turn doesn't load the rails framework.
> Presto: ActiveRecord has not been initialized.

Ah, that makes sense.

> The real question is: why is autotest running specs with the wrong
> names? Did anyone resolve this yet?

One thing I've noticed is that it never seems to do it from a fresh
run (either when you start autotest or hit Ctrl+C), only when it
re-runs a changed spec. And not every time, only occasionally.

I've started running autotest with the -v option to try and figure out
what it's doing.

Regards,

Matt

--