[rspec-users] Getting RSpec 1.1.4+ to Work with Autotest (ZenTest 3.10.0) on Windows (Win32)

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 15:29:04 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 8:33 PM, Charles Grindel <cgrindel at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> After upgrading to Rails 2.1, RSpec 1.1.4+ and ZenTest 3.10.0, autotest
> would no longer find any of my specs on my Windows development machine.
> Some Googling directed me to a very recent update in the History.txt file
> for rspec-fails:
> IMPORTANT: use 'script/autospec' (or just 'autospec' if you have the rspec
> gem
> installed) instead of 'autotest'. We changed the way autotest discovers
> rspec
> so the autotest executable won't automatically load rspec anymore. This
> allows
> rspec to live side by side other spec frameworks without always co-opting
> autotest through autotest's discovery mechanism.

Dunno if this funny, but I'm running right now with the exact same
combination of components and autotest picks my updated spec and files
(even the ones in lib).

> My project is running RSpec and Rspec-rails as plugins, but I gave it a
> shot.  Unfortunately, autotest would not even start.  A quick inspection of
> autospec revealed that the call to autotest in this file will not work on
> Windows, as is.  In the Windows environment, autotest is a batch file which
> must be executed with the "call" command when shelling out from a Ruby
> script.  So, I updated my autospec file to the following:
> #!/usr/bin/env ruby
> ENV['RSPEC'] = 'true'
> autotest_cmd = 'autotest'
> autotest_cmd = "call #{autotest_cmd}" if RUBY_PLATFORM =~ /mswin/
> system autotest_cmd
> I have submitted a ticket requesting that autospec be updated accordingly.
> http://rspec.lighthouseapp.com/projects/5645-rspec/tickets/466-update-autospec-to-work-on-windows

The upcoming version of Ruby (1.8.6 after patchlevel 114) will include
a fix for this issue, which I described in this post (less quirks for
us section):

So there is no need to prepend 'call' or ".bat" on Windows anymore
(also, you should consider mswin AND mingw as valid platforms ;-)

Luis Lavena
disinclination to do so.
Douglas Adams