[rspec-users] Open source projects using RSpec

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 11:23:18 EDT 2008

On Jul 4, 2008, at 5:29 AM, Olivier Dupuis wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Anyone knows of open source projects that uses RSpec and RSpec
> Stories?  I'd love to see how it is being used in different projects.

Here are a few that I know of:

rspec examples (no stories)
* http://github.com/wycats/merb-core and friends
* http://github.com/sam/dm-core and friends
* http://github.com/technoweenie/mephisto

rspec examples and stories
* http://github.com/technoweenie/restful-authentication (generates
example groups and stories)

I think the most exciting development over the last year is the
rubyspec project (http://github.com/rubyspec/rubyspec), which is an
executable language specification for the Ruby language. This effort
started as part of the (http://github.com/evanphx/rubinius) project.
The rubinius team wanted to use rspec because they liked the feel, but
they couldn't because rspec uses advanced language features that
rubinius just didn't have early on (makes sense). So they developed
their own implementation of a useful subset of the rspec-feature-set
called mspec (http://github.com/rubyspec/mspec). As I understand it,
rubinius is very close to being able to run against rspec-proper at
this point.

Meanwhile, rubyspec and mspec were split out into their own projects,
and now rubinus, JRuby (http://jruby.codehaus.org/) and even MRI (http://svn.ruby-lang.org/repos/ruby/branches/ruby_1_8/Makefile.in
  - scroll down) are running against rubyspec as part of their build
process. Very, very exciting stuff for the Ruby community as the end-
result will be a single, definitive resource for anybody who wants to
implement a standards-compliant Ruby interpreter.

Cheers,
David