[rspec-users] Stopping Example Execution?

Britt Mileshosky mileshosky at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 2 22:58:00 EDT 2008

> From: mileshosky at hotmail.com
> To: rspec-users at rubyforge.org
> Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 10:13:59 -0700
> Subject: Re: [rspec-users] Stopping Example Execution?

>> Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 06:15:10 -0500
>> From: dchelimsky at gmail.com
>> To: rspec-users at rubyforge.org
>> Subject: Re: [rspec-users] Stopping Example Execution?
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 5:11 PM, Britt Mileshosky
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> n Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 12:20 PM, David Chelimsky wrote:
>>> On Jun 29, 2008, at 11:18 AM, Britt Mileshosky wrote:
>>>
>>> However, do you see where something like a return statement or end example statement could be beneficial?
>>> If you are working from the top down with your controller action execution, then you only need to test your expectation
>>> and then bail out of your action. No need to further test or meet requirements on anything else in that action because your
>>> single test has been met.
>>>
>>> - in my example for making sure I find a user, I'd like to end execution once I DID find the user, i shouldn't have to satisfy
>>> requirements about finding an account and a person... I'll write those expectations later in another nested describe group, as you
>>> can see here, in a top down process
>>>
>>> PeopleController with a logged in user
>>> - should find user
>>>
>>> PeopleController with a logged in user who has an account
>>> - should find account
>>>
>>> PeopleController with a logged in user who doesnt have an account
>>> - shouldn't find account
>>> - should redirect ...
>>>
>>> PeopleController with a logged in user who has an account the person belongs to
>>> - should find person
>>> - should assign person for the view
>>>
>>> PeopleController with a logged in user who has an account the requested person does not belong to
>>> - should not find person
>>> - should ...
>>>
>>> My instinct about this is that it would encourage long methods because it would make it less painful to test them, so I would be adverse to anything that let's you short circuit the method.
>>>
>>> Anybody else have opinions on that?
>>>

>>> I'm just catching up on email now after being sick for the past six days, but health aside my opinion is that I agree with David's opinion. Rather than focusing on how-to write easier tests that complain less, start focusing on how-to write the right tests that complain when necessary.
>>>
>>> One of the benefits associated with feeling the pain of a test is that it may be a sign to re-assess and refactor your code. This usually happens early enough that it only takes a few minutes. Short circuiting essentially gives you the ability to not feel the pain. Its like CIPA [0], but for code. I would fear that the code would get so bad that by the time the test cried with pain your code was already beyond easy repair and instead required invasive surgery.

> [...]

I'm gonna make another REALLY strong case for allowing the ability to stop example execution and test code incrementally. I currently have over  1700 examples for the current application I'm working on, and one little line of code that I added in my App controller ( before_filter :set_location ) brought on almost 1100 errors across my tests.  Now I know people will say that the requirements weren't understood at the beginning of the application and that it could have been avoided with better planning... but this isn't the case.

I now have to go into each of my controller tests and add the stub into every before declaration to clear up my errors.  Not fun, and could've been avoided completely.

Britt