[rspec-users] Cookies - how to set in controller specs?

Christopher Bailey chris at cobaltedge.com
Wed Jul 2 12:57:35 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 9:41 AM, David Chelimsky <dchelimsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 2, 2008, at 11:15 AM, Christopher Bailey wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 4:06 AM, David Chelimsky <dchelimsky at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> <snip>
>>>
>>> This is just one of those goofy things in Rails testing. I'm not sure
>>> the best way to make it easier in rspec without breaking existing
>>> examples in the process. Regardless, here's how you interact with
>>> cookies from an example:
>>>
>>> To set a cookie:
>>>
>>> request.cookies[:cookie_key] = CGI::Cookie.new('cookie_key', 'cookie
>>> value')
>>
>> When I do this, in order to get to this cookie in my controller code,
>> I have to do
>>
>>  cookies[:cookie_key][:cookie_key]
>
> Sorry Christopher - try this:
>
> request.cookies[:cookie_key] = 'cookie value'

I tried that (see below in my email - I just mistakenly wrote it
without the "request." at the beginning).  When I do this, it appears
to set it, but then trying to retrieve it in my controller fails (even
though the key is there, and the value is there, when then requesting
cookies[:cookie_key] I get no value back).  Pretty weird.

> Cheers,
> David
>
>> Basically, it appears that what it does is assign that key a hash of
>> its own.  That makes sense of course, as I realize a cookie is really
>> a hash of name, value, path, expires, and so on.  However, it doesn't
>> jive with the retrieval, as you shouldn't have to double reference it
>> (which I believe is essentially the point of the [] method on
>> ActionController::CookieJar and is not how things are documented).
>>
>> However, what's really behaving weird, is if I do:
>>
>>  cookies[:cookie_key] = "1234"
>>
>> Then, in my controller code, if I look at "cookies", it shows that
>> cookies is a hash, and if I call .keys on it, it spits out
>> ":cookie_key", and if I call .values on it, it says "1234", but if I
>> then go and do cookies[:cookie_key], it gives me nil.
>>
>> Again, I have to suspect something weird going on with Rails test
>> environment/RSpec, since all this works fine outside of tests.  Any
>> suggestions on how to debug this further or what might be wrong?
>>
>> I should note I'm using Rails 2.1, and RSpec and rspec-rails from
>> about a week ago (from GitHub).
>>
>>> To read a cookie
>>>
>>> response.cookies[:cookie_key].should == ["expected value"]
>>>
>>> or
>>>
>>> cookies[:cookie_key].should == ["expected value"]
>>>
>>> Rails provides a cookies object that is actually response.cookies, so
>>> you don't *have* to reference it through the response object. I would,
>>> however, as I've been known to try to set a cookie in an example using
>>> cookies when I should have been using request.cookies. So I try to
>>> keep them explicit.
>>>
>>> HTH,
>>> David
>>>

>> --