[rspec-users] reby-debug and rspec

Scott Taylor mailing_lists at railsnewbie.com
Wed Jan 30 20:30:44 EST 2008

On Jan 30, 2008, at 7:21 PM, James Deville wrote:

> The other options is to do require 'ruby-debug' in your development.rb
> and test.rb environment files, and just do debugger where you want the
> breakpoint in your test

I just have a 'debug' snippet in textmate where 'debug' => tab
expands to:

  require 'rubygems'; require 'ruby-debug'; debugger;

So I just insert this into my spec, and then rerun the specs.  the
debugger will pop right into the spec, allowing you to step into the
method call, and so on.

The only disadvantage to this approach is that you will need to run
through the rest of the test in the file before hitting the debug line.

Scott