[rspec-users] Textmate RSpec Bundle 'it' snippet

Pat Maddox pergesu at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 10:13:34 EST 2008

On Jan 29, 2008 5:43 AM, Edvard Majakari <edvard at majakari.net> wrote:
> > Not if you fill it out...and the BDD way is to write one example at a
> > time, not a complete spec beforehand.
>
> I've done it this way too (being lazy), but is it really good thing?
> Often I get more insight on how an interface should look like,
> if I think even superficially what kinds of services an object should
> offer. Thus I _think_ that writing a TODO-list in spec form
> (marking all as pending) and starting to pick up those that you want
> to do. Is this really considered non-BDDish by the authoritatives?

When I think of extra tests that I need to write, I jot them down on a
card.  When I work on code, I work on one thing at a time.

There are no rules though, so if writing out a bunch of specs before
you do anything works for you, cool.

> IMO, if you don't think of the features at all and just start to spec
> completely some single functionality, you risk rewriting that test
> many times
> when you add new tests for other methods on the same object, no?

That has not been my experience.  If you have to rewrite the same test
over and over, it's probably testing too much.

Pat