[rspec-users] Spam Protection

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Sun Jan 20 19:06:49 EST 2008

On 19/01/2008, at 05:27 , Mark Wilden wrote:

> What's weird is that I've been using the same email address since
> 1996, I've
> turned off spam filtering by my ISP, and yet I get very, very
> little spam
> these days (maybe 1-2/day).

I've been using the same address since 1994, and every time I get
spam I complain to the appropriate abuse@ and postmaster@ addresses.
I'm not as fortunate as you, today for example I have about 12 spam
messages amongst a veritable ocean of articles from mailing lists -
the signal to noise ratio is about 20:1

If people are setting up accounts specifically for mailing lists, it
might be worth adding a filter to immediately trash messages that
don't look like they came from the list.  For example, if you have a
specific "rspec-users" mail account, filter all messages to the trash
if they don't contain "[rspec-users]" in the subject, or "rspec-
users at rubyforge.org" in "TO:".

In an ideal world there would be no spam, but that's not going to
happen until we rid the world of greedy or impure people.  I expect
that to be at about the same time that Skynet takes over and flying
pigs start snowball fights with the legions of hell.