[rspec-users] unusual challenges speccing external software

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 12:23:21 EST 2008

On Jan 17, 2008 10:24 AM, Giles Bowkett <gilesb at gmail.com> wrote:
> > At the risk of sounding a bit silly, what's your question? I couldn't
> > find a question mark in the whole email...?
>
> OK, well, am I on the right track? Should I do it differently? If so,
> in what particular way?

Giles - I think you'll find more people with more experience in this
area on the testdrivendevelopment at yahoogroups.com list. That said, and
only having glanced at your mail, here's a thought or two:

The TDD line on this, as I understand it, is that you should write
your main application code exactly as you want to write it, imagining
that you had the perfect API to talk to and stubbing that API in your
tests. Then, when hooking up to the real services, you write thin
adapters that simply convert messages to the right format. I *think*
that's what you said you are doing.

HTH,
David