[rspec-users] View spec'ing style

Kevin Olbrich lists at ruby-forum.com
Sun Jan 13 12:14:21 EST 2008

I've been getting my head around view spec'ing lately for a fairly
complex project that makes heavy use of partials in views and I have hit
up against a style puzzle.

I see two strategies for spec'ing views:

First:
  Develop detailed specs for each partial and then make sure that the
final view expects that the appropriate partials are included and used.

   Pros:
    * it's DRY
    * you get a single point of failure if an expectation is not met

   Cons:
    * the final specs for a view aren't very explicit and it can be
challenging
      to figure out all the things a view does without tracing back the
partials.

Second:
  Develop a set of specs for each view that explicitly expect the
important UI elements and treat the rest of the view as a black box
(i.e., you don't care if a particular partial was rendered so long as
the relevant UI elements are there).

  Pros:
   * It's explicit and easy to tell what each view does.

  Cons:
   * It's not DRY.. you will get multiple points of failure if a partial
     is changed.
   * More time consuming and it's easy to miss an expectation in a view.

So... What are people doing?  The first?  The second? or some
combination of the two?