[rspec-users] Missing methods

Scott Taylor mailing_lists at railsnewbie.com
Fri Jan 11 10:31:41 EST 2008

On Jan 10, 2008, at 8:27 PM, James Deville wrote:

> We have a custom implementation of the Mother Object idea. It's inside
> of a module, basically like this:
> module Factory
> 	%w(account friendship person invitation message asset email_address
> birth).each do |klass|
> 		eval <<-EOF
> 		def self.create_#{klass}(attributes = {})
> 			default_attributes = valid_#{klass}_attributes
> 			#{klass.camelize}.create! default_attributes.merge(attributes)
> 		end
> 		EOF
> 	end
> 	def valid_message_attributes(options = {})
> 		{
> 		#some message options
> 		}
> 	end
> 	#more valid_x_attributes methods
> end
> When I require this file in a spec file, Factory.create_person works
> fine. When I try to do it in a step file, Factory.create_person is
> defined, but it fails because valid_person_attributes is missing. If
> I'm in a debugger, and I do require 'model_factory' followed by
> Factory.create_person, same deal.
> Do we have a blank slate being loaded somewhere, and why is it wiping
> out require files?

Actually, though, I think John D. Hume is right (and this is a
current bug with FixtureReplacement, as well): your valid_* methods
are not class methods, but instance methods.

I bet the reason that it has worked in the past is because rspec does
funny things with Module#include, and without having the time to look
at the source, I'd bet that rspec ends up delegating to the class
level (but story runner doesn't) - giving you the appearance that
your software works, but in fact is just taking advantage of rspec's

Prove me wrong, if you can.