[rspec-users] specs on private methods

Stefan Magnus Landrø stefan.landro at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 05:01:15 EST 2008

I totally agree with you, David!

For quite a while I was testing all my methods (even had to declare them
protected/package scope in java!), but I realized that I was getting into a
lot of trouble. Now I've shifted to testing functionality in stead of
methods.

Now, sometimes you might end up having small methods (typically a result of
refactoring) that are being used by several clients. In that case you should
start testing those methods, since they actually represent real business
logic.
I talked to uncle Bob about this issue just a few months ago, and as far as
I understood, he uses a similar approach.

I think it might make sense to think of the facade pattern when you do your
testing - do you really care what happens behind the facade?

Stefan

--
Bekk Open Source
http://boss.bekk.no