[rspec-users] specs on private methods

Daniel Tenner daniel.ruby at tenner.org
Tue Jan 8 14:14:30 EST 2008

Might be a personal thing, but my approach is that I try to test the
public behaviour of the object. Testing private methods is, imho,
getting dangerously close to specifying how the object does its
business, rather than what it does.

I would just spec the externally visible behaviour, where it occurs,
and let the object implement it as it wants (using private methods or
any other mechanism).