[rspec-users] best way to modify spec (the command-line tool)?

Giles Bowkett gilesb at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 10:55:37 EST 2008

Hi all, where I work we've cooked up a kind of ghetto profiler for our
specs. It basically just does this:

time = Time.now
# run the spec
puts "woah! dude. long spec." if time > 1.second

I'm simplifying here. I think the threshold is actually 0.1 seconds,
and we use more precise language, and highlight the spec in red via
terminal colors, etc.

But the way it works is a bit ghetto. We just manually hacked it onto
the Rails example groups (it's a Rails project) and then added a shell
env var to turn it on and off.

What's the cleanest way to implement this? Add a -profiling
command-line flag to spec itself? Is there a single point of entry and
exit for running individual specs that I can put the code around? It's
currently manually hacked onto each example group individually and it
seems a bit untidy.

--
Giles Bowkett

Blog: http://gilesbowkett.blogspot.com