[rspec-users] bad specs better than none?

Korny Sietsma korny at sietsma.com
Thu Feb 28 01:49:41 EST 2008

Totally agree with this - I'm happy to work with specs that just define a
single bit of the system's behaviour (i.e. "unit tests") and specs that
define behaviour across several different parts of the system (i.e.
"integration tests") - but it drives me mad when they are all mixed in
together, rather than in different directory trees.

Incidentally, is there a good naming scheme for this distinction in the BDD
world?  I'm used to saying "unit tests", "integration tests", "acceptance
tests" (though the precise meaning of the last two seems to vary widely
between different organisations!) but I'm not sure what to call them in
rspec-land.  "unit specs"?  "stories" in story-runner?

- Korny

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 3:01 PM, Maurício Linhares <
mauricio.linhares at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 2:59 AM, aslak hellesoy
> <aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com> wrote:
> >  >  I also had to go into specs on a project I'm not working on, and
> found
> >  >  an unholy hive of database-accessing specs. It's disheartening.
> >  >  Basically, it's cargo cult development practices - using the "best
> >  >  practice" without actually understanding it.
> >  >

> >  What "best practice" are you referring to?
> >

> I'm also interested in discovering what is this "best practice".
>
> I can't see any problem in specs running against a database, that's
> exactly what integration testing is about, shouldn't we do integration
> testing just because we're using BDD? I really don't think so.
>
> The big problem about specs running against a database is not knowing
> that it's integration testing and also that specs that access
> databases run slower than "pure" unit tests, but you can't be sure
> that your app works without a bunch of integration tests.
>
> --
> Maurício Linhares
> http://alinhavado.wordpress.com/ (pt-br) |
> http://codeshooter.wordpress.com/ (en)
> João Pessoa, PB, +55 83 8867-7208

Kornelis Sietsma  korny at my surname dot com
kornys at gmail dot com on google chat -- kornys on skype
"we do what we must, because we can"