[rspec-users] bad specs better than none?

Kero rspec-users at kero.tmfweb.nl
Wed Feb 27 22:45:03 EST 2008

> >  I also had to go into specs on a project I'm not working on, and found
> >  an unholy hive of database-accessing specs. It's disheartening.
> >  Basically, it's cargo cult development practices - using the "best
> >  practice" without actually understanding it.
> This is a really tough problem. The whole motivation for BDD was
> "people don't get TDD, so let's come up with some new ways to frame it
> so people get it." Now people don't get the new frame. In that respect
> we've made things twice as bad.

What did you expect? Honestly?
You need to show people the Right way, otherwise they're unlikely to figure
it out by themselves. But as the fortune cookies go:
 "To make the right decision, one needs experience.
  To gain experience, one needs to make the wrong decision."

It is easier for me to explain this from the point of view of aikido:
I've been shown the right moves thousands of times. I can not even see
what sensei does, let alone reproduce it. I can not perceive the balance,
the timing, the acceptance of an attacker and the reflection of his/her
energy to -ultimately- unbalance. How could I learn by trying even tens
or hundreds of thousands of time?
After seven years, I'm still a puny beginner. And I need other people
to show me my mistakes. Again, again and again.

To the original poster: yes, teach BDD.
Make sure they accept you as a teacher,
then teach, small steps at a time, by showing what is wrong.
when they figure out a solution by themselves, encourage them, accept
that solution (use it yourself). When they don't figure it out by
themselves (likely enough), show how you would do it.
And be prepared to repeat yourself.