[rspec-users] Autotest with TDD "test-first" problem

Edvard Majakari edvard at majakari.net
Tue Feb 26 00:35:36 EST 2008

On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 10:39 PM, Joe Van Dyk <joe at pinkpucker.net> wrote:

>  For example, one test runner could repeatedly run (or once a minute,
>  or whatever) the entire test suite.  And one test runner could run the
>  related tests for the file you change.
>  Perhaps two autotest instances, running off different test databases?

That's exactly my approach. I have 3 separate tests running, of which
"rake test:recent" is run whenever the files change, and the re-check
interval is just one second. However, "rake test:units" and "rake
test:functionals" -- sorry, my tests are still in Test::Unit  :( --
check the files only once a minute now.

I use rstakeout.rb for the task. I added simple file locking support
to prevent multiple instances running on the same time when requested
(by default, it allows concurrency).

See this pastie: http://pastie.caboo.se/pastes/152014

and use is as follows:

# save this as mystakeout.sh or similar
ruby rstakeout.rb -t 1 --sync "rake test:recent" "spec/**/*.rb" "app/**/*.rb"
ruby rstakeout.rb -t 60 --sync "rake test:all_but_integration"
"spec/**/*.rb" "app/**/*.rb"

..or something.

"One day, when he was naughty, Mr Bunnsy looked over the hedge into
Farmer Fred's field and it was full of fresh green lettuces. Mr
Bunnsy, however, was not full of lettuces. This did not seem fair."
  -- Terry Pratchett, Mr. Bunnsy Has An Adventure