[rspec-users] bad specs better than none?

Giles Bowkett gilesb at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 21:18:28 EST 2008

Hi - I've got a bunch of people using specs at a company. Everybody is
writing specs, but people are not really practicing BDD. As in, the
specs are there, but it doesn't go, write spec, write code, repeat. I
recently came across 8 failing specs checked into svn; I think the
plan was, I'll write the design as specs, and then implement the
entire design to match. Obviously that's not really the way it should
be.

I also had to go into specs on a project I'm not working on, and found
an unholy hive of database-accessing specs. It's disheartening.
Basically, it's cargo cult development practices - using the "best
practice" without actually understanding it.

Should I tell these people to throw away their specs? Should I train
them in the BDD "spec first" cycle? What do you do when you have specs
that are not really that useful? This is mostly Rails stuff; there's a
lot of controller specs that duplicate model specs instead of stubbing
out the behavior. It's driving me nuts but I have no idea what the
solution is yet.

--
Giles Bowkett

Blog: http://gilesbowkett.blogspot.com