[rspec-users] Newbie question Context vs Describe

Joe Ocampo agilejoe at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 06:29:00 EST 2008

Background just started programming in Ruby literally 12 hours ago and have
a question regarding context and describe methods.   Reading the RDoc it
indicated that "context" is an alias for "describe".  So I decided to try to
the following syntax seeing this is how I would approach it in C# with
NBehave.
require 'user'

describe User do

    before(:each) do
        @user = User.new
    end

    context "(adding assigned role)" do
        before(:each) do
            @user.assign_role("Manager")
        end

        specify "should be in any roles assigned to it" do
            @user.should be_in_role("Manager")
        end

        specify "should not be in any role not assigned to it" do
            @user.should_not be_in_role("unassigned role")

    context "(adding assigned group)" do

I thought I could use the "describe" method  to indicate the Type that the
specifications where going to be concerning.  I then would place the type
into a behavioral context to assert the intended behavior against that
context.

This combination resulted in User never being instantiated for the internal
context.  (nil:NilClass).  However!  If I flip the "context" and
"description" it works.  Am I doing something wrong?

require 'user'

context User do
    describe "(adding assigned role)" do

God Bless,

Joe Ocampo
agilejoe.lostechies.com

"How do you benefit if you gain the whole world  but lose your soul in the
process?" Mark 8:36