[rspec-users] Autotest with TDD "test-first" problem

Joe Van Dyk joe at pinkpucker.net
Sat Feb 23 15:39:58 EST 2008

On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 6:10 AM, David Chelimsky <dchelimsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 11:18 AM, Paul Dowman <lists at pauldowman.com> wrote:
>  > Hi, I'm mostly quite happy using  autotest with rspec, but there's one
>  >  thing that's been bothering me, and as my test suite grows larger it'd
>  >  becoming more painful.
>  >
>  >  Autotest re-runs the entire suite whenever a spec that had previously
>  >  failed passes for the first time. I find that incompatible with
>  >  writing tests first in classic TDD style. I write the test which fails
>  >  (because there's no implementation yet), and then just implement the
>  >  method and watch it pass. But now autotest decides to re-run the
>  >  entire test suite, which takes a couple of minutes, and in the
>  >  meantime I'm stuck waiting to see if my next spec will pass or not.
>  >
>  >  Is it possible to change that behavior somehow, so that it doesn't re-
>  >  run the entire suite every time?
>  Interesting idea. How would you want autotest to decide when to run everything?
>  In the end, this belongs in ZenTest, not RSpec, but we can certainly
>  discuss it here :)

Would be interesting to have the ability to run multiple tests at once.

For example, one test runner could repeatedly run (or once a minute,
or whatever) the entire test suite.  And one test runner could run the
related tests for the file you change.

Perhaps two autotest instances, running off different test databases?