[rspec-users] Autotest with TDD "test-first" problem

Paul Dowman lists at pauldowman.com
Fri Feb 22 12:18:53 EST 2008

Hi, I'm mostly quite happy using  autotest with rspec, but there's one
thing that's been bothering me, and as my test suite grows larger it'd
becoming more painful.

Autotest re-runs the entire suite whenever a spec that had previously
failed passes for the first time. I find that incompatible with
writing tests first in classic TDD style. I write the test which fails
(because there's no implementation yet), and then just implement the
method and watch it pass. But now autotest decides to re-run the
entire test suite, which takes a couple of minutes, and in the
meantime I'm stuck waiting to see if my next spec will pass or not.

Is it possible to change that behavior somehow, so that it doesn't re-
run the entire suite every time?

Thanks,
Paul