[rspec-users] Specs versus Stories

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 18:44:59 EST 2008

On Feb 18, 2008 6:38 PM, Victor Asteinza <vic at civrot.org> wrote:
> Isn't there redundancy between what is in your stories and your specs?
> Or are your stories at a higher level and the specs are at a lower
> level?  That would make more sense to me.  There would be some cross
> over. but the specs expand on what is in the stories....

While either tool can technically support either mode of thinking:

Stories are aimed at describing the behaviour of your applications.
Specs are aimed at describing the behaviour of the objects in your applications.

You are correct that there will likely be some cross over, but keep in
mind that there are different audiences and different processes.

The steps in stories (the descriptive text, not the implementation of
the steps) are typically written in entirety before setting out to
develop a body of work. Stories should be run before a commit, or as
part of a CI build, but are not always run between every step.

The examples in specs, on the other hand, typically come into
existence in a very granular red-green-refactor cycle, and should be
run between every step.

HTH,
David