[rspec-users] uh... fixtures?

Phlip phlip2005 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 21:49:11 EST 2008

I'm aware this is quite the FAQ. I have probably asked it myself, but I just
can't Google up anything but others asking it.

I grabbed the source to Beast, to use as a Rails project uninfluenced by me, or
RSpec. Then I installed the CURRENT version of RSpec and rspec_on_rails, and set
up a model spec on Post.

Here's the spec_helper.rb lines:

   config.use_transactional_fixtures = true
   config.use_instantiated_fixtures  = false
   config.fixture_path = RAILS_ROOT + '/test/fixtures/'
                #  borrow existing ones  ^
   config.global_fixtures = :posts, :topics, :users

And here's a Beast test translated into a spec:

describe Post do
   fixtures :forums, :moderatorships, :monitorships, :posts, :topics, :users

   it 'should require body for post' do
     @post = topics(:pdi).posts.build
     assert @post.errors.on(:body)

And the whiny nil error message hits topics(:pid).

Any ideas?