[rspec-users] Re ducing frequency of autotest file checks

21croissants address4spams at 21croissants.com
Fri Feb 15 08:03:56 EST 2008

I am using RSpec 1.1.3 with ZenTest-3.9.1 and I wanted to share my set up.

If your cpu is at 100% when autotest is running and the fan noise is getting
too much, don't worry there's something you can do.

You can reduce the frequency at which autotest checks for changes on your
file system by adding an initialize hook in your ~/.autotest configuration:

    gedit ~/.autotest

Autotest.add_hook :initialize do |at|
 # Reducing frequency of autotest file checks too 30 seconds. Default is 1s
which makes my laptop very hoooot
 at.sleep = 30

 # Ignore files with suffix
 %w{.svn
    .hg
    .git
    .rhtml
    .png
    .txt
    .sh
    .project
    .rjs
    .rake
    .jpg
    .xml
    .xlst}.each { |exception| at.add_exception(exception) }
end

More information about autotest hooks in David Chelimsky blog.

I also posted this trick to my blog (with some links) at
http://21croissants.blogspot.com/2008/02/reducing-frequency-of-autotest-file.html