[rspec-users] params are making my "should redirect_to" test fail - why??

Max Williams toastkid.williams at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 12:26:16 EST 2008

I'm testing a controller action that redirects to a different action/view,
sending through some params.  In my test, i'm only specifying the controller
and action that it should redirect to, but the additional params are making
it fail!  Here's my test:

  it "should redirect to batch_saved after completing batch_save" do
    post 'batch_save', @params
    response.should redirect_to(:controller => 'admin/users', :action =>

and here's the failure report:

'Admin::UserController When logged in as an admin level user should redirect
to batch_saved after batch_save' FAILED
expected redirect to {:controller=>"admin/users", :action=>"batch_saved"},
got redirect to

Now, i would expect that since i'm just specifying a controller and action,
and we redirect to them, that the test would pass.  But the params are
breaking it (I know this because i changed the controller action to not send
params through at all and the test passed).  How do i do the test so that it
doesn't care about the params?