[rspec-users] Using RSpec to Story Test Java code

Robert Watkins robertdw at twasink.net
Tue Feb 12 10:05:37 EST 2008

Hi, folks.

I recently (ie on the weekend) came across RSpec, and knew it could be the
answer to a problem I was looking into - story testing Java code. I've
written up what I had to do to get it working at
http://twasink.net/blog/archives/2008/02/rspec_jruby_and.html. Basically, I
took the Accounts test from the RSpec home page and used it as the basis for
testing a Java Accounts class. The resulting article is from the point of
view of someone with virtually zero Ruby experience, and no RSpec experience
at all.

This isn't _just_ a blatant troll for hits to my blog. ;) I'm also seriously
keen on feedback from anyone else who is trying to do this sort of thing, or
even just from people trying to use the Story Test format _without_ testing
Rails applications. 2 days isn't enough time for me to have come across all
the good information out there (though I'm going to keep looking).

I also hope to take part in this community some more - you guys have built a
fantastic tool, and if you don't mind a Java guy hanging out here, I'd love
to see how much I can get out of it. :)

              "Software is too expensive to build cheaply"
Robert Watkins           http://twasink.net/           robertdw at twasink.net